|Hale-Ray starting |
pitcher Katelyn Nichisti
- Missy's Glove: Hale-Ray shortstop Missy Martin was involved with 10 outs on defense, including a beautiful diving save & flip to second base to force out the runner and end the top of the seventh. The junior didn't make an error.
- First date: Saturday was the first-ever meeting of Hale-Ray and Seymour. Said Seymour coach Ken Pereiras: "It's nice to play someone different, someone good. New faces, new coaches -- it was well worth it."
- Four times home: There were four inside-the-park home runs Saturday, three from Seymour (one by Hale-Ray's Lydia Walter). Interestingly, they were all within 50 or 60 feet of each other in center field. Petroski's second homer won the long-ball award ... about 15 feet away from going over the fence.
- Losing streak: Hale-Ray's loss means the first losing streak since June 2, 2010. They lost in the Shoreline title game to North Branford, then lost in the first round of the Class S state tournament against Trinity Catholic.
- Poll-tastic: Expect some changes on Tuesday in the Top 10 softball standings (Seymour was No. 1, Hale-Ray was No. 9). I'm thinking Mercy gets in at 8, 9 or 10.